Sports & Games > Unified Sports
What is Unified Sports?
Special Olympics Unified Sports® is an inclusive sports programme which pairs SOSA athletes with unified partners (people without intellectual disabilities), allowing them to train and compete together.
Each team is made up of individuals of similar age and ability, 50% with intellectual disabilities and 50% without. These mixed teams help to raise awareness in society about the capabilities and courage of our SOSA sports stars. They also ensure that lifelong friendships are formed and prejudices overcome.
Three models exist within Unified Sports:
• Competitive Unified Sports
• Unified Sports Player Development, and
• Unified Sports Recreation
The programme enables athletes to:
• Learn new sports
• Participate in competitions
• Feel a sense of belonging
• Interact with people from all walks of life
• Develop rewarding friendships
• Discover the value they have to offer
• Earn acceptance and respect, and
• Participate in the greater community
Memorandum of Understanding
contact special olympics south africa
(011) 706 3323
Designed, developed and hosted pro bono by Gendel Interactive (Pty) Ltd